The 8x8 Festival
Since 2013, the 8x8 Festival has been bringing award-winning photography and film to campuses across Ireland every autumn. Designed, developed and delivered by students – for students – the festival is a great way to learn more about the burning issues shaping the world around us.
Last year's 8x8 students decided on the theme No Two People Have The Same Story, exploring the myths and misconceptions that surround migrant issues. They developed an outdoor photo exhibition, screened documentary films and hosted a range of events on their campuses.
The 8x8 Festival reached over 13,000 people at 7 different campuses in 2017, and we are looking to make this year’s the biggest and most successful one yet! We are now seeking at least three 8x8 Festival coordinators at each of the following campuses (if your campus is not listed, let us know!):
- Dublin City University
- Dublin Institute of Technology
- Marino Institute of Education
- Maynooth University
- NUI Galway
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Cork
- University College Dublin
The role of 8x8 Coordinator:
You will have the opportunity to work as a team to help design, develop and deliver the 8x8 Festival for your campus. Your team will be the main point of contact for the 8x8 Festival Manager and relevant staff and groups on campus. This role will provide you with the chance to work independently and take on responsibilities while also being supported by the 8x8 Festival Manager and an 8x8 Working Group on your campus.
- You will receive full training and support to carry out this role.
- You will gain professional work experience in key areas such as project design and planning, marketing and promotions, communications and event management.
- You will meet new people with similar interests, including inspiring guest speakers, experienced changemakers and students from around the country.
- You will deepen your understanding of the key global justice issues affecting the world today and the ways that you can take action to create a better world.
Do I need any previous experience?
Nope! We provide all the training you need
We are looking for people who want to develop:
- Planning and organisation skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- People management skills
And who have:
- A passionate commitment to social change
- Good knowledge of their college campus
- Energy and enthusiasm!
When does it happen?
- The deadline for applications is May 1st (midnight) and successful candidates will be notified by mid May
- A training weekend for all coordinators takes place in May
- Three monthly meet-ups will take place in June, July and August (one each in Dublin, Cork and Galway)
- The 8x8 Festival will be launched at end of September/start of October, spending a week at each campus
The training weekend is mandatory for all coordinators and at least one coordinator per campus must attend each of the three monthly meetings. Coordinators and the 8x8 Festival Manager will also collaborate online as necessary between meetings develop the festival plans.
The role is part-time beginning in May 2017 and running until October/November. It will require ongoing contact with your team, the 8x8 Festival Manager and relevant groups on your campus.
We estimate the time commitment over the summer to be about 2 hours per week inclusive of training and meetings. In addition to the summer meetings, it is important that coordinators have a strong presence on campus both in the run-up to the festival week and during the festival week.
Before the festival:
- Attend training and monthly meetings
- Assist the team with design, planning and management of the festival and liaise with 8x8 Working Group on your campus
- Link in with campus bodies, including student societies, the SU and other departments where relevant to get their support/inform them about the festival
- Promote the festival on your campus, both online and offline
During the festival:
- Manage events during festival week, including venue set-up, tech set-up, sign-in sheets/headcounts, guests/speakers etc
- Monitor the outdoor photographic exhibition
- Organise festival promotions on campus, eg interviews with college publications/radio, lecture announcements, screen ads, flyering etc
- Generally be the face of the festival on campus
After the festival:
- Participate in festival feedback discussion
- Contribute to festival review and evaluation
- Join us for our end of year dinner!
What about payment?
This is a voluntary role but each coordinator will receive an 8x8 Festival pack and expenses incurred as part of the role will be reimbursed.