Department of Education
Announcement & Support
An announcement was made by the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar TD of the closure of schools, pre-schools and further and higher education settings, for a period until 29 March 2020, to support efforts to contain the spread of Covid-19. This took effect from 6pm, Thursday 12 March and is in line with the advice of the National Public Health Emergency Team.
The following resources have been advised by the Department of Education to help minimise the impact of teaching and learning during this period. All of the supports below are FREE and do not require registration or sign-in.
These tools include:
1. Scoilnet Website – Scoilnet has a number of home usage supports for teachers and students to benefit from. Students and teachers can access over 20,000 resources shared by Primary and Post-Primary teachers anytime, anywhere. Search materials by class/year group, subject, strand, and learning outcomes.
2. World Book Online – All students in the Republic of Ireland have open and free home access to World Book Online. World Book is a trusted encyclopedia containing thousands of informational articles with stunning illustrations, videos, interactive maps, research help, and activities.
3. ePortfolios – A quick overview on a sample of some platforms for e-learning.
- DES Announcement and full list of tools
- Statement from the Department of Education and Skills
- Department of Education and Skills Coronavirus Information and Resources
Did you know?
One in ten children in Ireland has serious difficulties with literacy.
In some disadvantaged schools, this rises to one in three children.
About one in four teenage boys in Ireland lacks the literacy skills to function effectively in society.
Our work with children in disadvantaged communities in Ireland is funded by the generosity of people like you.