As signatories of the Dóchas Code on Images and Messages, we strive to:
- Choose images and related messages based on values of respect equality, solidarity and justice
- Truthfully represent any image or depicted situation both in its immediate and in its wider context so as to improve public understanding of the realities and complexities of development
- Avoid images and messages that potentially stereotype, sensationalise or discriminate against people, situations or places
- Use images, messages and case studies with the full understanding, participation and permission of the subjects (or subjects' parents/guardian)
- Ensure those whose situation is being represented have the opportunity to communicate their stories themselves
- Establish and record whether the subjects wish to be named or identifiable and always act accordingly
- Conform to the highest standards in relation to human rights and protection of the vulnerable people
We welcome your feedback with regard to our implementation of the Code. If you have feedback, additional comments or a complaint, please email email@example.com or call the Suas office on 01 662 1400.
Dóchas also offers a cross-sector complaints mechanism. Should you for whatever reason not be satisfied with how we handle your comments and feedback or feel that our dealing with your complaint does not meet your expectations, you can raise the issue with Dóchas. Please note that Dóchas is asking people only to make use of this facility once they have raised the issue with the organisation of concern itself (rather then sending complaints directly to Dóchas). Go to the Dóchas website to find out more about your options.