How We’re Governed
We’re committed to maintaining the highest standards of governance. We believe that setting and maintaining standards is a key element in demonstrating accountability to all stakeholders, funders and supporters. Suas is formally on the journey to compliance with the Governance Code for the Community, Voluntary and Charitable Sector in Ireland – the journey to full compliance is being closely monitored by our Board. Progress is reviewed at bimonthly board meetings and we expect to be fully compliant in Q1 2019.
We are also compliant with all the requirements of the Charities Regulatory Authority, particularly in relation to reporting obligations. Suas operates under a completely transparent financial culture and all our financial statements in our Reports and Publications section.
The Board has determined that the organisation complies with the following principles and codes of good practice:
- The Irish Development NGOs Code of Corporate Governance
- Irish Charities Tax Reform Group (ICTR) Statement of Guiding Principles for Fundraising.
- The SORP reporting principle for Charities.
- Dóchas Code of Conduct on Images and Messages.
- Comhlámh Code of Good Practice.
- Suas Child Protection Policy.
- Suas Whistle Blowing Policy.
There are clear distinctions between the roles of the Suas Board members and the executive management team. The Board is responsible for providing leadership, setting overall strategy and monitoring budgets and outcomes of the organisation. The Board is also responsible for identifying the risks affecting Suas and ensuring procedures are in place to reduce and manage the major risks identified.
The day-to-day management is delegated to the executive management team. The executive management prepares and present policies, work plans, annual financial budgets and cash flows for consideration and approval to the Board. The CEO is responsible for all operational matters. There is a schedule of matters reserved to the Board for decision and a schedule of matters delegated to the Chief Executive Officer.
Suas has two formal sub-committees who are accountable to the board:
- The Nominations Sub Committee assists the Board of Suas in the identification and appointment of suitably skilled Directors to its Board and to undertake any additional related duties at the direction of the Board.
- The Finance Sub-Committee is responsible for developing and overseeing the annual budget, monitoring reserve funds, ensuring compliance with SORPs and other relevant codes and principles, and reviewing monthly management accounts on behalf of the Board.
The Chair Bob Semple and two other Board members with considerable financial and business experience (Ronan O’Loughlin, Michael King) also act as a Finance Oversight Working Group, working closely with the Finance Manager and CEO.