The Volunteer Programme.
Limited places available!
- Volunteer as a teaching assistant
- Support the education of children in some of the world’s most disadvantaged communities
- 8 week volunteering placements in India and Zambia
- No previous teaching experience required
- Live and work in teams of 8-12 volunteers
What are you doing next summer?
Some summers last a few weeks, a summer with Suas will last a lifetime. Wherever you are placed as a Suas volunteer, a piece of you will remain there long after you have returned home. You will never forget the experience that you will have, or the people you will meet.
The impact of the volunteer programme has lasting effects far beyond the length of the placement:
- Make a real difference in the education of children in disadvantaged communities and in schools with few resources.
- Our sustainable model of ongoing partner support means that our partner organisations continue to receive support from Suas long after the volunteers leave the placement.
- The shared experience and friendships formed amongst teams has lasting effects on volunteers in their future lives and careers.
If not now, when? If not you, who?
Don’t delay in having the summer of a lifetime. With all the issues facing people all across the world, every single one of us has a responsibility to act. We can’t wait for someone else to tackle these problems. What are you going to do about it?
Read first hand accounts from our previous volunteers
Living and working with a team of fellow young volunteers from Ireland, you’ll help change the lives of girls and boys in some of the world’s most disadvantaged communities. You’ll get first-hand experience of life in a developing country, gain on-the-ground insights into global development issues and advance your own personal and professional skills.
You’ll see, learn and experience things you never have before.
You're in safe hands
Our number one priority is the health and safety of our volunteers, and we have a wide range of supports in place while you are overseas to keep you safe. Our training is recognised as being among the best in Ireland, as well as at EU level.
- Pre-Departure training prepares you for all the challenges you’ll face while on placement. This includes Health, Safety & Security, teambuilding, language & teaching.
- While on placement you will have a dedicated Coordinator leading your team, as well as expert medical support and full insurance cover.
- Our Return Day when you come home helps you reflect on and unpack your experiences on the programme, and think about ways to keep making change happen.
Making change happen together
The Suas Volunteer Programme gives young people aged the opportunity to work alongside likeminded people to make change happen together. By pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and through service to others, you will find a common understanding and become empowered to take action on issues back home in Ireland. Join Suas you will become part of a network of over 1,200 people for whom the programme was a catalyst for change in their lives and societies. We build teams of volunteers through a comprehensive training process so that they can become greater than the sum of their parts and have a greater impact than they ever could alone.
Experience a different point of view
The volunteer programme is not a holiday. Every aspect of the programme challenges you and pushes you out of your comfort zone. The work is demanding but the benefits of doing the programme are truly life-changing. You will not only effect positive change by working as a teaching assistant, but you will learn a huge amount too. The Global Perpsectives strand of the programme, which includes weekly global issues sessions, as well as a full week of workshops, seminars and field trips in the middle of your placement, helps you understand the complex and interconnected issues you encounter on placement, and how they relate to issues at home.